Wednesday, September 8, 2010

unconditional love

Wouldn't it be awesome if we could love ourselves and other people as innocently as children love?  Children love their toys with their whole heart.  They don't care if their toys are scratched, messy, or torn.  When I say that I have the sweetest child on Earth, I'm not biased at all because it's the truth.  No really, let me give you an example:

We went to Michael's yesterday and I looked pretty horrible.  My hair hadn't been washed in days, but I didn't have the time to wash it before we went.  Ethan had just eaten, so we had to go ahead and run out there and do a few errands so I'd make it back home before it was time for him to eat again.  Or so I thought.  We were getting ready to check out and he just started screaming, which is really unusual for him.  The place was packed and the lines were long.  (No idea why everybody in Hampton Roads decided to go to Michael's on a Tuesday morning.)  So of course everybody starts looking at us and Benjamin starts laughing, which is really unusual for him.  He puts his hands on either side of my cheeks and gives me a kiss and says "Mommy, you're beautiful."  I kid you not, this is what he does. 

He still thinks that I'm beautiful with dirty hair, spit up on my shirt, and pants that are a little too tight in the seat. 

4 comments:

  1. boys can be so sweet sometimes! yesterday, Charley made me a book about how no matter what, I could still give him kisses ... so precious! I agree, I love how kids (and my husband) can look through my grungy situation and see the absolute value of ME :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww... that's just the sweetest thing ever! So glad God chose to speak through your child in that moment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That actually made me tear up! God uses our kids in the best ways!

    ReplyDelete